User Group Leadership is published by Apress on December 29, 2015. This book has 91 pages in English, ISBN-10 1484211162, ISBN-13 978-1484211168. PDF is available for download below.
This book is about starting and sustaining a technology user group. User groups are a wonderful way to connect with local and like-minded professionals for networking and learning. All the forums and social media on the internet can’t replace face-to-face time spent discussing problems, upcoming technologies, and other pertinent topics. What every user group needs is leaders to organize meetings, find speakers, and connect the community.
What every leader needs is good advice and guidance on how to begin a group and nurture new leadership to keep the group sustainable, and Michelle Malcher provides just that right sort of guidance in her book on User Group Leadership. This book is designed to help you understand what goes into starting and building a user group, giving you the tools and resources to do so. Learn what to expect before your first meeting, in the first three months, and in the first year.
Malcher has experience from the local group level on up to the international level with the Independent Oracle User Group. If you’re involved in technology and are ready to take on a position of leadership by which to help others network, succeed, and grow, then grab a copy of this book. You won’t find a better source of guidance for starting and growing a new group on the technology of your choice.
- Learn what to know before you ever have your first meeting
- Prepare for each meeting with a list of things that should be done
- Grow your local members into future leaders
What you’ll learn
- Choose the right motivations for starting a group
- Build a governance structure and integrate with an umbrella group
- Locate and book interesting speakers
- Recruit help to share the administrative burden
- Grow the next generation of leadership
- Make a difference in people’s careers by helping them grow and network and learn
Who this book is for
User Group Leadership is aimed at technology professionals interested in networking and learning with like-minded people in their same technology area. The book is especially aimed at the ambitious professional who is ready to step into a leadership role by creating a vibrant user community where no such community currently exists, but one is needed.