Pro PowerShell for Database Developers is published by Apress on October 7, 2015. This book has 407 pages in English, ISBN-10 1484205421, ISBN-13 978-1484205426. PDF, EPUB is available for download below.
Pro PowerShell for Database Developers helps you master PowerShell application development by continuing where other books leave off. There are no “Hello World” functions here, just real-world examples that get down to business. Develop and deploy database and ETL applications in a reusable framework. Read from any data source and write to any destination. Integrate PowerShell with SQL Server.
Pro PowerShell for Database Developers shows how to dive into the PowerShell environment and customize it to your needs. Learn about CmdletBinding and its use in extending functions with powerful new features. Also learn to package functions into libraries called modules that are loaded automatically on demand.
PowerShell is about automation and getting work done when you’re not around to perform it. To that end you’ll see how to schedule PowerShell applications using SQL Agent and the scheduled job cmdlets. And for when you are around to run automated processes in person, you’ll learn to add a Windows GUI to your applications to give them that professional polish.
Other exciting topics include:
- Creating objects with custom methods and properties and extending them with PowerShell-style inheritance.
- Implementing function polymorphism using parameter sets.
- Using PowerShell as an ETL tool surpassing even SSIS.
- Creating distributed, interruptible, and multithreaded programs using PowerShell’s workflow engine and the .Net Windows Workflow Foundation.
All these topics are explained using real-world examples encapsulated into modules you can immediately put to use in your organization. You’ll reap even more as you come to grips with all that PowerShell can do. Begin the journey toward deep expertise and amazing productivity. Buy and read Pro PowerShell for Database Developers today.
What you’ll learn
- Develop professional, reliable, extensible, and flexible code.
- Customize the PowerShell environment and language to your needs.
- Code using advanced features such as COM and .NET objects.
- Write complete applications involving database access and GUIs, all in PowerShell.
- Run PowerShell as a stand-alone ETL tool, and also to manage ETL process flow.
- Access the Windows Workflow API for writing multi-threaded applications in PowerShell.
Who this book is for
Pro PowerShell for Database Developers is for .NET and other developers using PowerShell in connection with database-backed applications, and especially with the sort of databases commonly found in enterprise environments. If you’re wondering what all the PowerShell hype is about, if you’re wanting to get serious about using PowerShell well beyond writing trivial scripts, then Pro PowerShell for Database Developers is the book to read.