Expert Performance Indexing in SQL Server, 2nd Edition is published by Apress on November 10, 2015. This book has 403 pages in English, ISBN-10 1484211197, ISBN-13 978-1484211199. PDF, EPUB, MOBI is available for download below.
Expert Performance Indexing in SQL Server, 2nd Edition.
This book is a deep dive into perhaps the single-most important facet of good performance: indexes, and how to best use them. The book begins in the shallow waters with explanations of the types of indexes and how they are stored in databases. Moving deeper into the topic, and further into the book, you will look at the statistics that are accumulated both by indexes and on indexes. You’ll better understand what indexes are doing in the database and what can be done to mitigate and improve their effect on performance. The final destination is a guided tour through a number of real life scenarios showing approaches you can take to investigate, mitigate, and improve the performance of your database.
- Defines the types of indexes and their implementation options
- Provides use cases and common patterns in applying indexing
- Describes and explain the index metadata and statistics
- Provides a framework of strategies and approaches for indexing databases
What you’ll learn
- Properly index in-memory OLTP tables
- Recognize and remove unnecessary indexes
- Review statistics to understand indexing choices made by the optimizer
- Properly apply strategies such as covering indexes, included columns, index intersections, and more
- Write queries to make good use of the indexes already in place
- Design effective indexes for full-text, spatial, and XML data types
- Manage the big picture: Encompassing all indexes in a database, and all database instances on a server
Who this book is for
Expert Performance Indexing in SQL Server is intended for database administrators and developers who are ready to lift the performance of their environment by thoughtfully building indexes to speed up the queries that matter the most and make a difference to the business.